Tuesday, May 22, 2012

5K Run (5/20/12) - Demarest 5K

I normally wouldn't post a 5K run on my blog but I since this one has memories, I decided to write about it.


This year it was the 30th Anniversary. 30, Which means the first race held was nearly 2 months before I was born. The last time I ran this event, I was probably 7 or 8. I still remember my mother running this with me. The town of Demarest is where I practically grew up. I moved here from Fort Lee, NJ when I was 3 or 4. my parents and two brothers lived in a small 3 bedroom ranch house on the corner of a cul de sac. This town is perfect for those that want to raise kids in a quiet, harmless area. Demarest boasts six schools, while the population is a mere 4800. You have all the necessary things needed for a home within distance and the city is not too far. My next door neighbor commuted to the city everyday for quite a while. What surprised me was that the estimated household income for this small town was close to $150,000! I don't think my mother, or when my father lived with us (they were divorced when we were kids), made close to that amount.


Duck Pond
Anyway, back to the race.

This course is nothing close to easy. It starts off with an uphill climb and basically becomes rolling hills throughout the rest of the course. The course takes you around the western side of Demarest. I don't remember this race being so hard. But of course, the last time I ran this was when I was under 10 and had plenty of energy. Maybe I should ask my mother. This time around, I went out too hard. I was expecting to keep a 6:30 pace all the way, but started out at 6:15 and slowly disintegrated into a 7:00 pace at the last mile. I should be more cautious about this. The course also had a lot of twist and turns. I wanted to get in more of the scenery but my mind was completely focused on breathing and finishing. Next year, I should get more of the visuals in.

Finish Line

Although the difficulty level was high, I managed to PR my time at 20:54. My previous PR was 21:36. 42 seconds faster. This will boost my confidence level for the Fifth Ave One Mile Run also. My goal for that race is to break 5:30sec. My next 5K is in my current home town Ridgefield Park. This one is supposed to be a fast and flat course so a PR is pretty much expected.




No comments:

Post a Comment