Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Up in the Air

I'm an avid traveler. My work has made me overcome the fear of flying and now I enjoy my time in the air very much. Well, of course, there are times when the plane is just too old or I end up on a flight that I didn't want to take. Currently, as I write, I am on a DELTA flight to San Francisco. So far, I'd have to say it's one of the worst flights ever. The seats don't recline, my tray table is broken, and the TV doesn't work. Even better, I'm in row 40. The only thing I appreciate is the in-flight wifi. Had this not been available, and it does cost $13, this whole trip would've been a horror ride.

In the first six months of 2011, I've flown close to 53,000 miles. Most of it is from Continental Airlines. Some from Delta and American Airlines. I've achieved elite status level many years and let me tell you, once you become an elite, even the lowest one, the whole process will make flying so much easier, like the movie with George Clooney, "Up in the Air". My goal will be to become a million miler. Although I'm short by a few hundred thousand miles, I think I can reach it. There's really nothing great to this accomplishment unless you really are a frequent flyer. Most people probably don't even care where they sit or what airline to take. As long as it's cheaper, they are comfortable. I personally can't do that. You sort of get used to certain airlines and you get comfortable riding with them, so much to the point that you remember a few flight attendants and they actually remember you. I've lately gotten to the point of learning the types of airplanes that are flown. Like cars, I try to guess the model and make of each plane I fly. I guess its one of those hobbies.

Its almost a routine when arriving to the airport. Walk straight to the kiosk, get your ticket, stand in the shorter lines, your shoes, PC, belt, anything metal, is already off and in the tray by the time you even get to security checkpoint. Walk to the gate, grab a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, and once boarding begins, you're one of the first batch in. In the plane, you're in the front row, or occasionally first class, but I won't do much explaining on that yet. Slap on the seat belt and off you go to sleep. Once in the air, it's your time and only yours. You can be reading a book, watch a movie, or even have a conversation with the guy or gal next to you. The savior of wi-fi today has given me the chance to write this blog.

The joy of flying. 4 years ago, I hated flying. I hated the turbulence. Every time the plane shook, I thought I was going to fall. And in a plane, if it ever does drop, there's really nothing you can do. But, aside from all that and given the statistical facts that you are more likely to get in a car accident, I've come to enjoy this time in the air. It's almost like a sanctuary. Next up, international flights. I need more of those. Maybe I should start writing more while I'm up in the air. This might be a good idea,

No comments:

Post a Comment